There are also several committees that are behind the great membership
benefits that MRPA offers. There is plenty of room for involvement on
- Conference Committee - Planning of the MRPA Annual Conference for professionals,
volunteers, board members and vendors from across the state and region. Offer a variety of educational sessions on areas of interest to the parks and recreation
profession, networking and acknowledge outstanding accomplishments of both
departments and individuals through annual awards.
Committee Co-Chair: Carolyn Ryan
Anne Arundel County Recreation & Parks
Work: (410) 222-7315 ext. 355
Committee Co-Chair: Wendy Donley
M-NCPPC - Prince George's Co.
Work: (301) 277-3717
- Finance Committee - Monitor the long range financial plan. Prepare periodic
(minimum of annual) status reports on the association's investment funds. Work with the
executive director to develop specifications for conducting the annual
audit/review/compilation and where applicable, interview potential auditors. Meet with
accountants to discuss the management letter of the association's fiscal practices.
Act as an advisor to the executive director and executive board in financial practices,
policies and procedures.
Committee Chair: Paul D. Meadows, CPRP
Calvert County Parks & Recreation
work: (410) 535-1600 x2223
- Interagency Committee - Work in conjunction with the Membership Committee in fostering
communication and coordination between MRPA and various organizations involved in the
delivery of recreation and park related services.
- Legislative Committee - Develop a network and procedures to track
and monitor state-wide legislation prior to and during the Maryland General Assembly session. Develops a list of
issues and concerns for the upcoming legislative session. Determines
strategy for communicating issues to the appropriate parties; maintains a log of pending legislation including a brief description of each bill, its sponsor/s, committee assignment, hearing date and status. Leads discussions during the session to review and develop a course of action and develop and implement testimony strategy for each bill based upon committee consensus.
Committee Chair: Greg Kernan
- Marketing Communications Committee - Assist in the promotion of activities of the association including general membership meetings and workshops, training and education programs, the annual conference and distribution of association news through print and electronic media.
Committee Chair: Shannon Davis
Baltimore County Recreation & Parks
Work: (410) 887-4156
Directory Sub-Committee - Develops the annual MRPA Membership Directory and Buyer's Guide.
Directory Sub-Committee Chair: Barbara Lages
Cell: (410) 456-0179
- Membership Committee - Develop an annual marketing plan, to include
a timeline, for membership retention and new member recruitment including specific recruitment campaigns and promotions.
Foster development of a network and opportunities for "Young Professionals" ages 21-35 to develop as future members of the MRPA leadership. Evaluates membership fees and benefits and recommends changes as warranted. In coordination with the MRPA office review and revise membership information to reflect approved changes.
: Emily Lawrence, MS, CTRS
M-NCPPC - Prince George's County
Work: (301) 446-3428
- MRPA Leadership Institute - This recent MRPA initiative is intended to develop future leaders in Recreation and Parks who will take on leadership positions within their organization and in the Maryland Recreation and Park Association. this 6-month program meets for a full day once a month, focusing on various areas of leadership.
Leadership Institute Chair: Kris Mervine
Baltimore County Recreation & Parks
Work (410) 887-6957
- Professional Certification Board - Establishes approval process and approve all CEUs for MRPA educational sessions, including Annual State Conference sessions.
Professional Certification Board Chair: Skip Gormley, CPRP
Cell: (301) 509-9548
- Professional Standards Committee - Promotes and encourages professional certification among the membership through active continuing education by recreation and park professionals, volunteers and citizen advocates.
Committee Chair: Joan Brooks
Queen Anne's County Recreation Division
Work: (410) 758-0848 ext. 4709
- Resource Development Committee - Raise funds for the operation of the Association, including
scholarships and employment of paid personnel which may be appointed by the Board of
Directors. Works with volunteers state-wide to coordinate golf tournaments, the silent auction, Bull and Oyster Roast and other activities for the benefit of the association.
Committee Co-Chair: Phil Bryan, CPRP
Howard County Recreation & Parks
Work: (410) 313-1668
- Sponsorship Committee Chair: Matt Purkins
Carroll County Recreation & Parks
Work (410) 789-1609
- Scholarship Sub-Committee -
Reviews and recommends revisions to establish criteria for scholarships, receives applications through the MRPA office, investigates the merits of each application and make recommendations for the provision of scholarships for individuals who meet the established criteria. Scholarships may be available for trainings including the MRPA and NRPA annual conferences, the MRPA Leadership Academy, and/or other trainings, certifications and internships whereby it benefits both the individual and MRPA.
Scholarship Committee Co-Chair: Roelkey Myers
Scholarship Committee Co-Chair: Courtney Weinstock
Baltimore City Recreation & Parks
- Training and Education Committee - Coordinates training opportunities for MRPA members, offering quality training and education options. The committee is comprised of representatives from various disciplines such as Aquatics, Facilities, Parks, Sports, Therapeutic, etc. Promotes professional certification through nationally recognized certifications such as CPRP, CPRE, and aggressively continuing education by recreation and park professionals, volunteers and citizen advocates. Create
educational tracks/modules for various levels of the membership (such as
Budget & Finance, Supervision, a Program Summit, Parks Maintenance, etc.)
Committee Co-Chair: John Nissel
M-NCPPC - Montgomery Parks
Work: (301) 495-2500
Committee Co-Chair: Dean Turnbull
M-NCPPC - Montgomery Parks
Work: (301) 670-4691